Thursday, February 09, 2006

Free Speech and e-Speech

My supervisor Vincent is not in today!

I had mistaken his 'Tees and Bermuda' attire and his liberal, friendly European-ness for a blank-check to come late (not to mention the continuously cheerful 'Good Mornings' every time I tested the waters by coming late). Then yesterday in his equally cheerful, friendly, Belgian accent he told me that "one-hour late was not nice" - he added "maybe you can make it up by staying in after hours, but coming on-time is preferable." (please remember the Belge accent while reading it).

I meekly told him something about three buses missing me when in fact I had chased the first bus that refused to take me in till the next bus stop and got in (I was impressed by my own tenacity!)

Now when I came in 'only' fifteen mins late today to show my apologetic attitude, he is not in! Am I disappointed? Nay! I started with a great willingness to get started on work on my own
immediately, but what with Jeremy on the HPLC machine, it was fate telling me to do something else. I still dint give up and tried some research papers, sleeping in the 'Break-out Area' (BTI-talk for pantry!) and some free 'make-it-urself' coffee. I eventually settled on blogs and all the holy stuff that accompanies them. Before I got started on this post, I was busy leaving 'longer-than-the-post' comments on other blogs and even emailed a couple of friends for their blog URLs (Google Blog Search failed me). Particular motivation was provided by my own abysmal, 'as-usual-long' blog entry yesterday - the one with NUS and Chemistry in its title!

Of course, the inserted picture is mis-guiding, but thats only to make this entry a bit more
colourful and also to may be invite some 'e-Jihad' (To believers: I am honestly kidding here - I
would be wrecked by any hacking as I am quite un-savvy with computers, viruses and stuff!). Nevertheless, this whole topic of Islam, Cartoons and Free Speech is going to make one long article on my other blog.

Considering the length of anything that I type - even my name is quite long if you notice - I
have decided to channelize some energy in the near future into my other blog
(brahminical.blogspot.com). Having already decreed that its very mission is to be long-winded, it will probably save me from defacing this blog (I actually liked my early articles here, and what people thought of it). Let me make clear that whatever we claim in our mission statements, the ultimate purpose of a blog is to seek attention, and occasionally some approval.

It might be a bit 'loser'ly, but I have always been an unabashed conversationalist in the real world (as against the e-world), however 'infamous' my conversations' are. In fact I know that deep down those who make fun of my love to talk actually like what I got to say (please dont correct me if I am wrong!). In fact, one guy while in the middle of doing the 'hip' thing of making fun of my long stories, referred to me as the 'Seinfeld of NTU'. Now, is that a compliment or what?

My previous blog-post had turned out bad (did I say that once before? I am sorry, I lose track sometimes!) but I am quite satisfied with what I have here. In fact I had even taken a break for lunch (where my colleagues seemed to enjoy my theories on the languages of the world!) half-way through this post. A comment would be welcome though.

Like my supervisor would say, " That wut bi gut!"

Comments:
hey, I can see you have quite a flair for talking :P But I dont quite get what the picture has to do with your blog.. care to explain?
 
Nothing! In fact, I think the cartoons were quite a stupid idea.

But, I dont like people over-reacting and expecting that to cow others from doing stupid things.

I am just lending my meek voice in the fight against 'idiots burning embassies' though I will vote for the motion that 'Jylands-Posten is a retarded publication'.
 
hmm...I agree. Destruction in the name of religion is inexcusable. It disreputes the religion.


Btw, I find your blogs( your perspectives) interesting..do keep up the good work!
 
Thank you 'Lavender'

I shall.
 
hi. I was reading a tiny article about how some woman found her "Name twin".. thought "What the heck ? work is boring today, why not try the name twin"

and..i found YOU.., i thought VIKRAM BALASUBRAMANIAN is such a strange combo & that i would find no one. But looks like there more than one VIKRAM BALASUBRAMANIAN out there !
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?