Wednesday, February 08, 2006

NUS Blood Donation, Chemistry and other such things

Note: Am experimenting on a blog entry variety that assumes everyone who reads knows everything I know - will be fun to see how much people understand.

1) NUS Blood Donation

Had joined my colleagues to participate in a blood donation drive in NUS, partly because it was time since I last did it anyway and partly because it was a nice opportunity to cut a few hours from work (the rigours of which is part II of this blog entry).

NUS - have been there many times. First when my bro was a student. That was when I made up my mind that I was coming to Singapore to study come what may. Many more times since I came to Singapore, albeit a NTU student already.

Today it struck me how I felt so bad that I dint study there. Especially since the reasons why I chose the other university were completely applicable in NUS. Especially since the reason I rejected NUS was because they had not offered me the scholarship before NTU's 'we need you badly' offer. Especially since it looked a place far more representative of those aspects of Singapore that I prefer - far more liberal people, better aesthetics, access to city, and a good bioengineering school!

I started taking comfort from the fact that PGP needed a paint and the toilets were not as clean as NTU's - in fact as Jagdish said, 'NTU's toilets are clean to a fault, the cleanest in the world'. Will rigorously try for the Singapore exchange program in my final year. That way I would have seen both unis and that would remove all the uneasiness in my mind.

BTW the blood donation went well!

2) Chemistry

My IA work is now hitting hard - here I am in charge of experiments to be designed and done as I please. The lab is a nice place but it is kinda overwhelming when I have to deal with both glass jars and bench solutions on one hand and 'High-Performance Liquid Chromatography (SEC) coupled with Static Light Scattering, UV Spectrometer and RI detector (with computer softwares)' on the other hand.

At one point I needed to make a simple buffer solution of Citric Acid and Sodium Citrate (pH 5.5). Only to find out that I dint remember the equations not that they helped when I got them. Citric Acid is a multi-protic acid with all three pKa values close by. No clear points of inflexion and no way to blindly use Henderson-Hasselbach equation.

Now thats the kind of challenge that Vikram Balasubramanian, International Chem Olympiad Silver Medalist would have loved and cracked. Instead, I meekly inserted a pH meter once in a while and kept adding NaOH till I got to 5.5 (5.52 actually). At one point I actually choked when I heard the word 'equivalence point' - I got nostalgic about those days when words like this were my staple diet, and scared about now where I cant figure out how to deal with them.

Academia is a hard world - especially there is no coming back if you left its shores once.

3) Other such things

Had a horrible debating session yesterday. I almost wanted to cry and give up - surprising self-realisation that I gave a shit about how good I was at this thing.

After three years of this shit, I still dont know how to structure a speech, pick a clear coherent winning stance. Especially when it was supposed to be a 'Juniors' vs 'Seniors' debate. The Juniors got rave reviews for an 'awesome case' and 'great speeches'. Sushil even managed to see strategy in what they said - good for them!

But, he squarely put the blame on me. He said I screwed up! Amber's average speech was seen now in the light of having to repair the self-destruct effects of my speech. My reply - was flatly rejected as 'new-matter reply'. Amber was even credited for making fun of my bad speech as damage control (he says he did no such thing and I know that).

The sad thing is most of what was said about my speeches was true - and I felt quite good when I actually gave them. Scary! Talk about hoping to win an international tournament in the next few months!!

Comments:
Hey Vik,

Had not been to your blog in a while. Thanks for the deep, insightful comment you have credited me with.

Your point on your "infamous conversations" is resonably true as well.

Keep it coming.
 
Hey Jag,

Had not been to my blog in a while myself!

Thanx for the vote of confidence though.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?