Thursday, February 23, 2006

This time around, The Oscars will be eagerly awaited

The Oscars have never meant anything great to me. Except a couple of times. In the days of DD, when I heard 'Thevar Magan' was nominated, I was hoping to hear from someone if it did win (Thevar Magan was only sent to the Oscars).

Then, 'Lagaan' made the nominations list and one Sunday morning I sat and watched the whole show. Only to almost not notice that in a fraction of a second, Lagaan was announced, it lost and was forgotten. The Oscars did not make sense - I realised it did not mean anything to me. Not because Lagaan did not win - 'No man's Land' which eventually won was a way better movie.

Since then, I have grown up to appreciate the English-language movie industry wholesomely - and I no longer waste my mental energy for example contrasting English and Tamil movie industries. I treat them as two different art-forms, and if we still insist on comparing, Hollywood is a millenium ahead. They make crap too but their above-average ones, and particularly their best, define excellence in human performance.

Now, I can appreciate a lot of movies in a great depth - mainly because I have seen lots more now. I was pleasantly shocked when I could notice Spielberg's genius in the form of lighting effects in 'Munich'. And I am still able to enjoy movies without getting too artsy! All movies dont have to be great, some can just be fun.

This year's Oscars interest me greatly. Jon Stewart will be the highlight - he is an awesome entertainer.

Of course, there are some brilliant movies, nominees and the general quality of produce from Hollywood is up a few notches. I have still not seen them all - particularly, am yet to overcome my 'homophobia' to go and watch 'Brokeback ...'

Despite that I am going to have a little fun predicting the awards. Of course, I dont care who the Academy actually awards - this is just how it would have happened in my world. I may/may not award movies that I have not watched (which I will mark with an asterisk).

only some of the awards ....

Actor in a Leading Role - David Strathairn, Good Night & Good Luck* I have great expectations for this movie, and in keeping with that I will give Strathairn the award.

Actor in a Supporting Role - Matt Dillon, Crash Supposedly, William Hurt just appears for fifteen mins in 'A History of Violence' - it would be interesting to see him win though!

Actress in a Leading Role - Charlize Theron, North Country Havent seen any of these movies, but I would be OK with anyone but Judi Dench. Come on, stop this obsession with the mountains and other things that ancient.

Actress in a Supporting Role - Rachel Weisz, Constant Gardner She must have been good - I have read quite a bit on her performance. Plus, I love her greatly.

Animated Feature - Wallace and Gromit 'Cos this will be the only one I will watch.

Art Direction - King Kong Between it and Harry Potter (the nominees I have seen), it wins
hands down. But, Memoirs might just win it in real life.

Directing - Munich Come on! Let us give Spielberg some more credit for the movie. Some scenes may have been over-done, but it was reasonably intelligent entertainer. And well directed!

Music (Score) - Got to hear them all first. Not Munich definitely - not at all original.

Music (Song) - In the Deep, Crash. I know I enjoyed it, but don't remember it! Who cares, you can question my decisions!

Best Picture - Crash I recently read an article that rubbished the movie. I agree with the article's points and yet I give it the best picture. Thats how much I like it.

Visual Effects - Tie between King Kong and War of the Worlds Both had problems - King Kong had unnecessary variety of mysterious characters. But, the tribal village and the high sea scenes were spectacular. War of the Worlds had a masterly touch but failed with the all too familiar picturising of the aliens.

Writing: Adapted Screenplay - Munich Just classy. PLO and 'ETA' in the same safe-house was the high point.

Writing: Original Screenplay - Crash. Slightly more classy than even Munich. Irony was just overflowing. Dialogues were fabulous.

Comments:
'and I no longer waste my mental energy for example contrasting English and Tamil movie industries'

Good decision:P The importing of Northy 'babes' to swing their hips and dance for 5 lousy songs just about gets on my nerves.
 
The 'Models-from-Mumbai' is also probably the least of the many plagues that Kodambakkam is suffering from.

But, to be honest, sometimes these girls are a treat to watch in a movie that is anyway crap!

- lavender: why the secret identity?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?